[j-nsp] M40 to M10 conversion

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Mon Jul 30 19:16:32 EDT 2007

On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 04:42:56PM -0500, Hyunseog Ryu wrote:
> >From hardware viewpoint, it will work without a problem.
> Only difference between PE- modules and P- modules is that PE- moduels
> have hardware ejector handle to make it easy for how-swap
> installation/removal.
> But there is also support contract problem when you use P- modules in M10.
>
> If you use P- modules in M10 chassis, it will be invalidate your support
> contract.

Invalidate is a little strong, more likely somewhere between "will get
strange looks" and "you might have to argue with first level JTAC people
for an extra few minutes".

If you bend the backplane pins or short something out and fry the card (or
stab yourself in the hand with a screwdriver for that matter) while
inserting a P- card into an M10, Juniper is obviously and rightfully going
to tell you this isn't their problem. If you aren't comfortable inserting
tab A into slot B, or if you're one of those people who needs a support
contract to wipe your ass, this is not the solution for you. But honestly
if you're just talking ordinary run of the mill software problems, no one
will even notice or care that the part number isn't the right one.

Of course if Juniper were smart they would offer a service where you mail
back your old card, they slap a new 50 cent faceplate on it, and charge
you something outrageous like 20% of the list price to "recertify" it. The
sheeple will pay, but then again I'm sure there are plenty of people who
would throw them out and buy all new PICs too. :)