[j-nsp] JunOS 6.3 not logging BGP state transitions

Jared Gillis jared at sonic.net
Tue Jun 12 19:15:29 EDT 2007

Hi,

I manage a number of M40 routers running JunOS 6.3. I have the log-updown
directive enabled in the protocol bgp hierarchy (via an apply-group), but I get
no syslog messages anywhere when a BGP session goes down or comes up. I'm
logging all daemon messages level info or higher to a syslog host and locally.
I've tried manually configuring log-updown at each level of the bgp
configuration (globally, under a group, or under individual neighbors), I can't
get any BGP syslog messages at all.
Is there a known issue with this on this code rev? Is there other configuration
necessary?

Here's sanitized config snips:

syslog {
    archive size 1m files 20;
    user * {
        any emergency;
    }
    host 1.2.3.4 {
        any notice;
        kernel any;
        authorization info;
        daemon info;
        cron any;
        facility-override local4;
    }
    file messages {
        any notice;
        authorization info;
    }
    file command-history {
        change-log any;
        interactive-commands any;
    }
    file syslog {
        any warning;
    }
    file firewall {
        firewall any;
    }
    file daemon {
        daemon info;
    }
    file kernel {
        kernel any;
    }
    file pfe {
        pfe any;
    }
    file user {
        user any;
    }
    file conflicts {
        conflict-log any;
    }
}

bgp {
    path-selection always-compare-med;
    advertise-inactive;
    log-updown;
    group ibgp {
<snip>
    }
}

--
Jared Gillis - jared at corp.sonic.net       Sonic.net, Inc.
Network Operations                        2260 Apollo Way