[j-nsp] JunOS 6.3 not logging BGP state transitions

EVAN WILLIAMS evangellick at btinternet.com
Wed Jun 13 06:39:04 EDT 2007

tried using 'traceoptions' under
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos76/swconfig76-routing/frameset.htm

This has many options for tracing state-changes etc., very flexible. thing to remember is take account of the number of files you wish to maintain and the size of these files.

you can also run Monitor on the active file, very useful.

Does tis help or have I missed your point.

Evan

Jared Gillis <jared at sonic.net> wrote: Hi,

I manage a number of M40 routers running JunOS 6.3. I have the log-updown
directive enabled in the protocol bgp hierarchy (via an apply-group), but I get
no syslog messages anywhere when a BGP session goes down or comes up. I'm
logging all daemon messages level info or higher to a syslog host and locally.
I've tried manually configuring log-updown at each level of the bgp
configuration (globally, under a group, or under individual neighbors), I can't
get any BGP syslog messages at all.
Is there a known issue with this on this code rev? Is there other configuration
necessary?

Here's sanitized config snips:

syslog {
    archive size 1m files 20;
    user * {
        any emergency;
    }
    host 1.2.3.4 {
        any notice;
        kernel any;
        authorization info;
        daemon info;
        cron any;
        facility-override local4;
    }
    file messages {
        any notice;
        authorization info;
    }
    file command-history {
        change-log any;
        interactive-commands any;
    }
    file syslog {
        any warning;
    }
    file firewall {
        firewall any;
    }
    file daemon {
        daemon info;
    }
    file kernel {
        kernel any;
    }
    file pfe {
        pfe any;
    }
    file user {
        user any;
    }
    file conflicts {
        conflict-log any;
    }
}

bgp {
    path-selection always-compare-med;
    advertise-inactive;
    log-updown;
    group ibgp {

    }
}

--
Jared Gillis - jared at corp.sonic.net       Sonic.net, Inc.
Network Operations                        2260 Apollo Way