[j-nsp] What do for a terminal server?

Neal R neal at lists.rauhauser.net
Mon Jun 25 01:24:06 EDT 2007

  David,

    Is my desire for a dedicated serial console connection as dated as
the Cisco IOS interface? I see dedicated ethernet management ports on
the Extreme products we're evaluating ... but I don't think the Juniper
4350 has this feature. Our biggest customers might want M7i/M10i sized
boxes but most will prefer something smaller.

    We do a lot of remote management and with the Cisco boxes I like the
RS-232 link for commissioning and for the monitoring of boxes that are
badly behaved - in the Cisco world the console often gives clues to
failure modes that don't make it to syslog when the box is under stress.

                                                 Neal