[j-nsp] Aggregated Ethernet interface functionality/features

David Ball davidtball at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 11:22:03 EDT 2007

  In looking through the docs regarding aggregated Ethernet
interfaces, I was uncertain about a couple things and figured I'd ask
here.

We're using T640s and 8-port IQ2 Gig PICs, and I'm looking to
aggregate 2-3 ports facing a customer's Cisco 4506 (running IOS, not
CatOS).  This customer is a VPLS (ie. L2) customer on our network.  As
per the online docs:

"The JUNOS implementation of 802.3ad balances traffic across the
member links within an aggregated Ethernet bundle based on the Layer 3
information carried in the packet."

 I believe this will only apply if we're using family 'inet', which
we're not for this customer.  The option to set 'family multisevice'
values under forwarding-options hash-key exists, but that's a global
configuration command and I'm looking for something more local.  I'm
looking to see if i can set an option in the routing-instance's
routing-options that would help accomplish this, but I don't see
anything (policy docs say a 'forwarding-table' entry should be avail
under 'routing-instances RI-name routing-options forwarding-table'.

  Any advice/guidance/experience would be appreciated.

David