[j-nsp] Aggregated Ethernet interface functionality/features

Daniel Lete daniel.lete at heanet.ie
Tue Jun 26 04:43:41 EDT 2007

Hello David,

 From JUNOS Release 8.2 Features
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos82/rn-sw-82/rn-new-features.html#rn-new-features

in the VPN's section:

Aggregated Ethernet interfaces for VPLS routing instances—You can configure
aggregated Ethernet interfaces between CE devices and PE routers for VPLS
routing instances. Traffic is load-balanced in two ways:

     * If the next hop of VPLS packets to the next CE device is aggregated
Ethernet, load balancing is based on the input interface. The router picks one
of the child members to forward the flow. By default, load balancing of learned
traffic takes place using the input interface.
     * Learned traffic from a different MAC flow originating from the same
aggregated Ethernet input interface. In this case, to load balance traffic
across all the links on the interface, configure the forwarding-options
hash-key source-mac destination-mac statement at the [edit interfaces ae
number] hierarchy level.

hope it helps,
Daniel

David Ball wrote:
>   In looking through the docs regarding aggregated Ethernet
> interfaces, I was uncertain about a couple things and figured I'd ask
> here.
>
> We're using T640s and 8-port IQ2 Gig PICs, and I'm looking to
> aggregate 2-3 ports facing a customer's Cisco 4506 (running IOS, not
> CatOS).  This customer is a VPLS (ie. L2) customer on our network.  As
> per the online docs:
>
> "The JUNOS implementation of 802.3ad balances traffic across the
> member links within an aggregated Ethernet bundle based on the Layer 3
> information carried in the packet."
>
>  I believe this will only apply if we're using family 'inet', which
> we're not for this customer.  The option to set 'family multisevice'
> values under forwarding-options hash-key exists, but that's a global
> configuration command and I'm looking for something more local.  I'm
> looking to see if i can set an option in the routing-instance's
> routing-options that would help accomplish this, but I don't see
> anything (policy docs say a 'forwarding-table' entry should be avail
> under 'routing-instances RI-name routing-options forwarding-table'.
>
>   Any advice/guidance/experience would be appreciated.
>
> David

Daniel Lete Murugarren
HEAnet Limited, Ireland's Education and Research Network
1st Floor, 5 George's Dock, IFSC, Dublin 1
Registered in Ireland, no 275301  tel: +353-1-660 9040  fax: +353-1-660 3666
web: http://www.heanet.ie/