[j-nsp] L3VPN: Pinging CE from PE with larger packet size

Salik Mobin s.mobin at cyber.net.pk
Mon Mar 5 05:30:43 EST 2007

Dear All,

We have configured an l3vpn b/w two sites in the following topology:

[CE-A]----FE----[PE-A(M10i)]------E3------[PE-B(<10i)]----FE----[CE-B]

Although everything b/w CEs works well, we are unable to ping CE-B from PE-A
above packet size of 1472 Bytes. It is the case with CE-A from PE-B also. We
are not using PMTUD (rsvp mtu-signalling) and even enabling it does not make
change in problem. Enabling "allow-fragmentation" under "path-mtu" though
solve this problem but it causes packet drops for l2circuits.

Do we need to re-confgure MTU some where? Default MTU for E3 interface is
4474.

Please suggest.

Regards,
Mobin