[j-nsp] L3VPN: Pinging CE from PE with larger packet size

Harry Reynolds harry at juniper.net
Mon Mar 5 10:28:53 EST 2007

What's the mtu and encap on the ce facing interfaces?  If the default
1514 frame/1500 data, then a PE ping with size 1472, when combined with
IP and ICMP (28 bytes), yields the largest packet supported w/o frag.

You mention that you have enabled rsvp PMTU signaling and frag. Its not
clear what you mean by "solves problem but causes L2 packet drops". Are
these drops for the CE's described below, or for some other L2 service
that touches these PEs?

Thinking out loud, as RSVP is not enabled on the PE-CE facing
interfaces, its possible that RSVP PMTU signaling it not discovering the
1500 byte MTU on the CE links, and this prevents ingress PR frag, which
then causes loss. Not clear how enabling could/would break an L2
service.

 HTHs