[j-nsp] MAC address accounting on shared L2 IX - can it be done?

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Sat Mar 17 16:09:39 EST 2007

> > Is it just me, or is the JunOS documentation for Ethernet MAC address
> > accounting incredibly obtuse?
> >
> > I am connected to an IX on GigE shared L2 - so I would like to count
> > number of bytes and packets transmitted to and received from each BGP
> > peer, based on the MAC address of the peer. This would seem to be a
> > rather common task, but I haven't found a good way to do this yet.
>
> jared at Router# show interfaces ge-1/0/0
> description "BN: AMS-IX";
> link-mode full-duplex;
> gigether-options {
>     ethernet-switch-profile {
>         mac-learn-enable;
>     }
> }

Ah, it *is* the documentation which is obtuse :-)  Your message made me
check a bit more, and I finally found the "show interfaces mac-database"
command.

Now if the "Configuring MAC Address Accounting" documentation had been
a bit more explicit about what it did, and had actually included a
reference to the "show interfaces mac-database", it would have been
quite a bit more helpful. Thanks Jared, no thanks to Juniper here.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no