[j-nsp] MAC address accounting on shared L2 IX - can it be done?

Phil Sykes psykes at imtechtelecom.co.uk
Sat Mar 17 19:43:51 EST 2007

> Ah, it *is* the documentation which is obtuse :-)  Your
> message made me check a bit more, and I finally found the
> "show interfaces mac-database" command.
>
> Now if the "Configuring MAC Address Accounting" documentation
> had been a bit more explicit about what it did, and had
> actually included a reference to the "show interfaces
> mac-database", it would have been quite a bit more helpful.
> Thanks Jared, no thanks to Juniper here.

 A couple of caveats that may be relevant to people configuring this:

 - It doesn't work on aggregated Ethernet interfaces

 - It doesn't work on the fixed-optic Gigabit Ethernet PICs (e.g.
P-1GE-SX), only on the QPP PICs and SFP-based PICs.

 mac-accounting is exposed via SNMP via the JUNIPER-MAC-MIB (jnxMibs
23), which is potentially more useful than "show interfaces
mac-database" for long-term operational use.

Regards,

Phil Sykes			JNCIE-M #227
Technical Consultant	Imtech Telecom
Mobile:        +44 (0) 7823 530 630