[j-nsp] Indirect next Hop

Harry Reynolds harry at juniper.net
Mon Mar 19 09:36:20 EST 2007

A few have posted me indicating that the attached thread did not make
it.  Pasted inline here.

Its not really that meaty, but hoping its useful.

Regards

[begin]

Hey Richard, I can't comment on longer convergence times, but can
perhaps clarify the 8.2 INH feature.

JNI started using RE based INHs back in the 5.x time-frame, for the
reasons you describe. When a NH change occurs the RE can update a shared
INH to forwarding-next-hop mapping, regardless of how many routes are
sharing that single INH, which saves cycles.

In 8.2 we allow this functionality to extend from the control to the
data plane. IOW, we now have both RE and pfe INHs. Just as INH for the
RE reduced the control plane's workload, pfe INH reduces the PFEs work
load when a new next-hop is installed as the numbers of on-chip
writes/updates is reduced.

Hope this helps clarify.

Regards