[j-nsp] fragmentation in GRE tunnel

Ruslan A. Magomedov magpack at retn.net
Thu May 3 11:10:31 EDT 2007

Hello

Could anybody help me with resolving this problem. Is it possible
to transmit packets, then tunnel MTU is greather than MTU of egress
interface, in other words using only GRE fragmentation (not ip
fragmentation). I have tried it on Juniper M-series with tunnel PICs
and have got no result. It looks like router does not reassemble
GRE packets, but it's doing fragmentation on egress interface. Is there
any acceptable solution to transmit large packets with out using
ordinary IP fragmentation. The final aim is transmitting of MPLS traffic
over GRE tunnel without limitations due to MTU value of transit network

Best regards
Ruslan