[j-nsp] fragmentation in GRE tunnel

Dan Rautio drautio at juniper.net
Sat May 5 11:09:49 EDT 2007

Hi Ruslan,

This knob will prefragment the packets before GRE to avoid reassembly on
the other side.  One caveat of this feature is it works only on IP
traffic, not mpls.  Another caveat is reassembly at the end of the GRE
tunnel is not yet officially supported.

Some work-arounds would be to:

- use 'vrf-table-label' if a VRF is involved in your topology.  In that
way the mpls label would be popped off and then GRE prefragment would
work on the exposed IP packets.

- even uglier, use mpls+gre+ip-ip encapsulation

- Dan