[j-nsp] Juniper M7i BGP / memory requirement

Jeff S Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Sat May 12 02:27:56 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 11:04 -0700, Mark Hagler wrote:
> I am pretty new to Juniper routers in a BGP environment and am curious if
> experienced operators find that the M7's memory limitation of 256m is enough
> to run full BGP routing tables with a couple of neighbors.

rpd uses around 200MB of memory on my boxes with "a couple of
neighbors."  You'll probably be into swap very quickly with only 256MB
of memory installed.  That said, the M7i RE can be ordered with 768MB,
you can get an upgrade kit, or you can use after-market ram.

To the best of my knowledge, no RE that has shipped in the M7i has been
limited to 256MB, although that is the amount installed by default.

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz> +1-212-981-0607
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts