[j-nsp] m7i performance

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Mon May 21 16:05:07 EDT 2007

> - With a RE (512Mb) and CFEB (128Mb), how many eBGP upstream sessions (each
> receiving full routes from provider) can a box take?

Difficult to give an exact number. However, I would strongly recommend
upgrading your RE-5.0 to the maximum amount of memory, i.e. 768 Mbyte.

> - From performance view, how much does a M10i differ from m7i?

M7i is 3.2 Gbps full duplex for its 4 PIC slots, plus up to 1 Gbps full
duplex for the FIC (onboard) slot. So up to 4.2 Gbps, plus whatever you
can push through the builtin tunnel PIC.

M10i is 6.4 Gbps full duplex for its 8 PIC slots. If you need a tunnel
PIC, it counts against these 6.4 Gbps.

> - One my boxes has 2 eBGP upstream sessions (full routes) and the memory
> utilization on RE is constantly around 95%. Is it normal?

Juniper changed the way memory utilization was calculated, see

http://marc2.theaimsgroup.com/?l=juniper-nsp&m=116448795729031&w=2

So RE memory utilization constantly around 95% is pretty normal.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no