[j-nsp] Juniper M-series vs 72xx/NPE-G2

Nicolaj Kamensek nk at accelerated.de
Tue May 22 11:41:23 EDT 2007

TCIS List Acct wrote:
> What specifically does the RE do, if not packet forwarding?  Sorry for the lack
> of clue here, we are coming from the Cisco world where the NPE generally does it
> all.

The RE manages the routing policy, the routing-protocols(bgp sessions
etc.), the routing-tables and so on but does not do any packet
forwarding. Packet forwarding in Juniper M-series is done in the
packet-forwarding engine which consists of the System-Switch-Board(CFEB
in M7i and M10i, SSB in M20, SCB in old M40, SFM in M40e, M160 and
M320), the FPCs and the PICs itself. Packet-forwarding is completely
done in hardware, usually at wire-speed.

Regards,
Nico

--
Accelerated IT Services GmbH
Schubertstrasse 10                        D-67251 Freinsheim