[j-nsp] 802.3ah OAM support and monitoring

David Ball davidtball at gmail.com
Fri May 25 15:55:15 EDT 2007

  Has anyone toyed much with the 802.3ah OAM support in JunOS 8.2R1.7
(or newer) at all?  The docs indicate how to configure it and such,
but I have yet to determine a method by which I can be notified if the
Juniper (T640s in this case) receives a given type of OAM message.
For example, we use OAM with another vendor, and if the switch
receives, say, a Dying Gasp from a remote piece of equipment (perhaps
a media converter), my switch will send an SNMP Trap to my OpenView
server to notify our NOC in near-real-time.
  Has anyone figured out how to do this with JunOS ?  I understand
JunOS's OAM support is pretty new,   but unless I'm wrong (entirely
possible), it thus far seems fairly featureless.  The only way to see
OAM events is 'show oam ...'.
   Thanks in advance for any ideas/direction.  JTAC pointed me to the
docs I had already read, and that was it.

David