[j-nsp] 10G module for MX - which one?

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Nov 1 17:38:09 EDT 2007

> Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 23:28:17 +0200
> From: Pavel Gulchouck <gul at gul.kiev.ua>
> Sender: juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
>
> Hi!
>
> I'm looking to MX series as an IP-router with 10G interfaces, and
> have a question. Please advice which 4x10G module for MX480
> is needed for use it as a common IP-router with base features
> (bgp, ospf, snmp counters on vlan interfaces, rate limiting).
>
> DPCE-R-Q-4XGE-XFP $300k - Layer 2 and 3 capable with enhanced queuing
> DPCE-X-Q-4XGE-XFP $195k - Layer 2+ capable with enhanced queuing
> DPCE-R-4XGE-XFP   $96k  - Layer 2 and 3 capable
>
> I read the Data Sheet http://www.juniper.net/products/modules/100209.pdf,
> but not all is clear understanded by me. :-(
> I think the third module will be enough but not sure.

Probably the third is the one.

The second does not really route, so it does not look useful for your
purposes. The first does fine grained queuing for things like per-VLAN
queues. It is significantly more complex than the standard version. If
you don't need it, go with the DPCE-R-4XGE-XFP.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)