[j-nsp] 10G module for MX - which one?

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Nov 1 17:49:27 EDT 2007

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 11:28:17PM +0200, Pavel Gulchouck wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm looking to MX series as an IP-router with 10G interfaces, and
> have a question. Please advice which 4x10G module for MX480
> is needed for use it as a common IP-router with base features
> (bgp, ospf, snmp counters on vlan interfaces, rate limiting).
>
> DPCE-R-Q-4XGE-XFP $300k - Layer 2 and 3 capable with enhanced queuing
> DPCE-X-Q-4XGE-XFP $195k - Layer 2+ capable with enhanced queuing
> DPCE-R-4XGE-XFP   $96k  - Layer 2 and 3 capable
>
> I read the Data Sheet http://www.juniper.net/products/modules/100209.pdf,
> but not all is clear understanded by me. :-(
> I think the third module will be enough but not sure.

DPCE-R == Normal full routing, everything you would expect from a
normal M/T-series 10GE PIC.

DPCE-X == Same part as above but software restricted to L2(.5) features
only. Basically you have to configure the chassis to operate in either L2
or L3 mode, and if you're in L3 mode (aka normal routing) the -X cards
will not boot. L2.5 mode means it will do L2 and various L3 things to
support L2 services, i.e. it will run BGP to do L2VPN, but it won't run
regular inet afi/safi.

DPCE-Whatever-Q == The MX equivilent of the QPP (quad priced pic) PICs for
M/T. Basically the only difference here is sub-interface CoS support. On
The -Q DPCs you can do different CoS configs on individual vlans, on the
non-Q pic you can only do it for the entire port.

The cheap one is probably what you're looking for. There was a previous
thread on this list about the diff between DPC and DPC-E if you care, but
I believe all the new DPC R's are shipping as DPC-E now.