[j-nsp] J6350's interface down/up

Paul Civati paul at xciv.org
Tue Oct 16 12:12:29 EDT 2007

EVAN WILLIAMS <evangellick at btinternet.com> wrote:

> check out clause 37 in auto-negotiation IEEE802 standard, you will
> need to explicitly set the speed and duplex settings. Auto-negotiation
> works for cisco to cisco and on occasions to HP procufve, far too often
> the auto-negotiation fails with other vendors.

Personally, I have for the most part (various equipment) found that
auto-neg works fine although I know that a lot of people will say to
nail both ends to 100/full.

One observation I made, on HP equipment at least, is that if you have
auto-MDI/X crossover enabled then that will often interfere with
auto-neg working correctly.  On HP switches, unless you have very
old firmware, you can turn off the auto-MDI/X.

-Paul-