[j-nsp] NetScreen-5000 future, ISG2000

Dale Shaw dale.shaw+j-nsp at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 04:03:31 EDT 2007

Hi,

Does anyone have any insights into the respective longevity of the
NS-5000 and ISG2000 platforms?

I'm working on a design at the moment and for throughput reasons, I'm
looking at a pair of NS-5400s. It seems though that it's an older
platform that may not be as good (in terms of features, support,
performance) as a newer platform like the ISG2000.

Here are another couple of points making the decision harder:

- I hear there will be a "management 3" module for NS-5000, and
presumably new SPMs. Obviously the platform is not completely dead.
- I hear there are 10-gig Ethernet interfaces coming for the ISG2000 -
this potentially allows me to get on a newer platform, and achieve the
required throughput

I'm pretty new to Juniper gear, so if there are any really obvious
things I've missed when evaluating (on paper) these two platforms,
please let me know.

cheers,
Dale