[j-nsp] Third party compact flash on the J6350.

Peter E. Fry pfry-lists at redsword.com
Tue Sep 11 16:49:57 EDT 2007

> I'm in the process of setting up our second J6350, and
> part of that includes making spare compact flash disks
> loaded with JunOS in case the flash in the chassis fails.
> I have tried multiple flash sizes and manufacturers, with
> two different JunOS versions.  All fail to load on the new
> J6350 I am testing each on.
[...]
> Thoughts?

  I upgraded the flash on my J2300 using a SanDisk part with
an image file.  Newer units come with SanDisk flash, so I
figured it was a safe bet.  I had tried a no-name, a Crucial
flash and the SanDisk with no success, but found out my
flash reader was the problem -- I compared the image file
with the flash and they didn't bloody match.  Fortunately I
have an ATA CF card drive (i.e. not USB or any other BS --
straight 40-pin ATA) lying around, and it worked
perfectly... on the SanDisk.  (I didn't bother trying the
other two -- they were... also lying around.  Dang, I need
to throw some stuff away.)  So as Stacy said -- be aware of
flash reader issues, too.
  Some things I tried: 3GB in an SSG 550 -- ScreenOS doesn't
like it, but JunOS may not care; I should try 2GB in the
J2300, but, oddly enough, I don't have it lying around.  The
USB flash drives I have lying around don't work on either
platform, so the things appear to be fussy about USB flash,
too.

Peter E. Fry