[j-nsp] J-Series and USB storage

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Apr 4 16:40:16 EDT 2008

Once upon a time, Stacy W. Smith <stacy at acm.org> said:
> I would suggest leaving off "as-primary", but that's probably not the
> cause of your problem. "as-primary" was required in JUNOS 7.4 and
> earlier if you were using a USB to CF adapter and you planned on using
> the resulting CF in the primary CF slot. It's essentially a no-op for
> 7.5 and later. Either way, it's not required for a USB stick.
>
> I would also leave of the "swap-size 0" and stick with the default
> partition sizes. Again, that's unlikely to be the cause of your actual
> problem.

I had those on there because that was what the release notes
recommended.

> Does "show chassis hardware detail" show the USB stick?

It did, but the name part (where yous says "U3 Cruzer Micro 21510") just
had the USB vendor/product IDs.  I pulled it, waited a bit, reinserted
it, waited a bit, and it appears to have worked.

However, I can't boot from the resulting USB.  I get:

Trying to boot from USB device ...
Missing operating system

I re-did it without "as-primary swap-size 0", and it appears to have
worked okay that way.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>