[j-nsp] J-Series and USB storage

Stacy W. Smith stacy at acm.org
Fri Apr 4 16:27:53 EDT 2008

On Apr 4, 2008, at 2:07 PM, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> said:
>> I'm trying to snapshot a J2300 to a USB key.  I got a Kingston 1G USB
>> (listed on the supported page) but it still doesn't work.  I do:
>>
>> admin at testj2300> request system snapshot as-primary partition swap-
>> size 0 media usb
>> error: usb media missing or invalid
>
> I discovered if I reboot the router after inserting the USB drive, it
> sees it (I don't see this listed in the docs anywhere as a
> requirement).
> However, it didn't boot from the resulting USB key - it just said
> missing OS (and then after a timeout booted from CF).
>
> I was trying to upgrade to 8.5 (which requires more CF space),
> following
> these directions:
>
> http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/jseries/junos85/rn-jseries-85/increasing-the-compact-flash-space.html#increase-cf-space-section

It shouldn't require a reboot to recognize the USB, but assuming a
reboot makes it show up in the "show chassis hardware detail" output,
you should then be able to proceed with the "request system snapshot
partition swap-size 0 media usb" command in step 2 of those directions.

In this case, you do want to keep the "swap-size 0" argument in order
to remove the swap partition. I still think the "as-primary" keyword
is unnecessary.

--Stacy