[j-nsp] NAT configuration restrictions....

Wink dwinkworth at wi.rr.com
Thu Apr 10 22:25:40 EDT 2008

In the AJRE student guide on page 6-21, it says that sessions are
tracked in one of two ways:

1. Per-service-set (interface-style service-sets)
2. Per-interface (next-hop-style service-sets)

Then in the Services Interfaces Configuration Guide (in the technical
documentation section Juniper's web site), it says this about
source-static translations:

#######
Any addresses in the pool that are not matched in the source-address
value remain unused, because a pool cannot be
shared among multiple terms or rules.
########

I can understand not having:

(a) the same pool reused across multiple terms in the same rule
(b) the same pool reused across rules in the same rule-set
(c) the same pool reused across rule-sets in the same service-set

What I can not understand is that if #1 and #2 at the top of this e-mail
are true... Why can't we have the same pool referenced in two different
rules that are in different service-sets?  The pool would not matter at
that point because sessions are tracked by interface not by the pool.

Am I missing something?