[j-nsp] M10i performance

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Fri Aug 1 02:50:33 EDT 2008

> doing some mindgames with deploying
> additional BGP routers that need to
> sport the following features:
> - - full BGP table
> - - 6 SFP GE wirespeed slots (no over-
> ~  subscription)
>
> That's the basic idea. Is a fully re-
> dundant setup of a M10i using
> - - RE-850-1536-R
> able to do this or is it like walking
> on the edge when it comes to the BGP-
> capacity?

You should be just fine with RE-850-1536-R. The M10i has 6.4 Gbps full
duplex forwarding capacity, so six GigE ports should be okay.

> Also, will
> (2) PE-4GE-TYPE1-SFP-IQ2
> feature full duplex wirespeed ports or
> are they oversubscribed? Considering
> the specsheet, the M10i is able to
> deliver 12.8 Gbps - are there any back-
> plane considerations or is this a shared
> bandwidth between all eight slots?

PE-4GE-TYPE1-SFP-IQ2 is overbooked. It has *one* full duplex GigE link
to the backplane. For six wirespeed ports you will need PE-1GE-SFP,
distributed over the two CFEBs.

> Is using
> (6) PE-1GE-SFP
> an alternative that actually provides
> every port with wirespeed?

Yes. Note that list price for 6 x PE-1GE-SFP is higher than *one* 20
port DPCE-R-Q-20GE-SFP GigE card for the MX series. I would strongly
urge you to consider the MX series here.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no