[j-nsp] Difference Between E Series and Rest of the Router Family

Truman Boyes truman at suspicious.org
Fri Aug 1 16:21:11 EDT 2008

Hi Abhi,

The E-series run JUNOSe which is Juniper's mature broadband edge
software. Some of the broadband friendly features include the L2TP
functionality (LAC/LNS/Tunnel Switching), some of the DHCP
functionality, subscriber management functionality(some with the SRC),
and the number of queues / CoS behaviour on the number of interfaces
that the E-series support.

One feature that does not have parity between platforms at this time
is PPP termination capabilities. Today many service providers are
PPPoE or PPPoA and the E-series is designed to scale in this regard.

The subscriber management functionality and the QoS features are very
specific to broadband/customer termination applications. For example,
the shared shaping functionality, and parameter usage in QoS profiles
is also very broadband centric.

Another thing is ATCP capabilities that allow QoS mechanisms to take
into account the actual line speed of a DSL customer in order to
provide the appropriate congestion avoidance mechanisms.

Regards,
Truman