[j-nsp] Difference Between E Series and Rest of the Router Family

Richmond, Jeff Jeff.Richmond at frontiercorp.com
Fri Aug 1 16:52:12 EDT 2008

One HUGE difference that should be pointed out in all fairness is that while the M/T/J routers run JUNOS and were developed in-house, the E-series was acquired from Unisphere and as such are nothing at all like the other routers in terms of OS (JUNOSe is nothing like JUNOS) or hardware (even the E320, while being much different than the rest of the E-series is nothing like the M/T series).

Do not expect even the slightest bit of config portability between them, nor should you expect training portability either (though in fairness if you are vendor-C trained, JUNOSe is a fairly quick jump).

While the E-Series certainly has a lot of features that it supports, like anything else, I would highly recommend you decide what features you need and then test them out all running together to make sure it behaves as you would expect.

Regards,
-Jeff