[j-nsp] Debugging SONET (OC-3) errors

Clinton Work clinton at scripty.com
Tue Aug 5 11:59:54 EDT 2008

If the errors are occurring frequently enough (once an hour), you could
ask for a hard loopback on one end and ask the service provider to run a
bert test from the other side towards the hard loopback.  The bert will
see the path errors in the middle of the circuit which will prove the
problem to the service provider. The downside being that your OC3c will
be out of service for an extended period.  I had to resort to this
method once on a protected OC48c where the hard loopbacks were
progressively moved towards the middle of the facility where the fault
was found.

Clinton.