[j-nsp] Juniper High CPU Process Kqread

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Aug 15 11:59:17 EDT 2008

> Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 11:14:20 +0700
> From: "a. rahman isnaini rst / netsoft" <risnaini at netsoft.net.id>
> Sender: juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
>
> Dear Juners,
>

> Since limited documentation resources, anybody would like to suggest how
> can we tune the Engine to get kqread normal ?
> And what might cause of this high cpu condition ?
>
> PID USERNAME PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
>   2540 root       2   0   223M   220M kqread 268:48 44.34% 44.34% rpd

While I can't supply any answer, the thing that is eating up the CPU is
rpd, the main routing daemon. It is reading the kernel queue if it is in
the kqread state.

To see the route processor using 44% of the CPU is rather high. Even on
our core routers I generally  only see 3-5% CPU use by rpd. It runs much
higher at time when there is routing instability.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)