[j-nsp] General MX notes for use as a core ethernet switch...

Derick Winkworth dwinkworth at att.net
Tue Aug 19 07:15:56 EDT 2008

> No option to distribute by src/dst IP, TCP/UDP src/dst port, MPLS label ?

We were only looking at layer-2 interfaces that are part of
bridge-domains...  Good question though.  You can configure all of those
things you mentioned, it really depends on what family is configured on
the interface.  If you have "family mpls" configured under the ae1
interface, then you can distribute frames according to MPLS info...

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos91/swconfig-policy/configuring-the-load-balance-per-packet-action.html

Then click "next" a few times to see MPLS and MAC infos...

>> 2) On an IRB interfaces, there is the annoying requirement of specifying a
>> layer-2 interface in a static arp definition.  This annoying requirement
>> remains true even in the case of a multicast-mac.  For some reason,
>> configuring static ARP means the MX can't learn that MAC address... which is
>> highly inconvenient when you need to use a multicast MAC address (like
>> active/active multicast mac firewall configurations).
>>

> Kinda like port-security ?

It shouldn't be a requirement.  Especially for a multicast MAC address.
Even disabling bridge-learning for a unicast MAC address when you create
a static ARP entry for it seems silly.  For multicast MACs I think
either they should eliminate the requirement of specifying a layer-2
interface, or they should allow you to enter more than one.

>> 3) To be 100% compatible with Cisco's PVST+, you need to use "force-version"
>> and make sure you are configured for STP and not rapid-pvst...
>>

> Any references whether this is the case with EX-series ?

Don't know.  I haven't been able to find any documentation on it, but
according to the Juniper professional services guy...  on the MX, you
have to do this...

protocols {

    vstp {
        interface /interface name/;