[j-nsp] DRAM for M7 / crash of M7

Matthias Gelbhardt matthias at commy.de
Tue Aug 26 06:33:41 EDT 2008

Hi!

The reason I wrote is, that we have a M7 with 256 MB DRAM. Yesterday I
configured three iBGP sessions and one eBGP session. In total I got
around 600000 routes from which 260000 were active. The receiving and
advertising process was finished also the best path determination.
After a few minutes I checked back on the router which is located in a
datacenter, but I got no reaction from it, also no ping or trace
reaction.

After a reboot in the morning, I was able to analyse the logs:
Aug 25 18:05:56  muenster rpd[4195]: RPD_OS_MEMHIGH: Using 215998 KB
of memory, 144 percent of available

I think this clearly states, that the 256 MB of memory are not enough.
So we are now trying to upgrade it. I am surprised, that 600000 routes
are obviously too much for this router. Will 786 MB do the trick also
for a higher count of routes?

Regards,

Matthias