[j-nsp] DRAM for M7 / crash of M7

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Tue Aug 26 07:17:29 EDT 2008

> The reason I wrote is, that we have a M7 with 256 MB DRAM. Yesterday I
> configured three iBGP sessions and one eBGP session. In total I got
> around 600000 routes from which 260000 were active. The receiving and
> advertising process was finished also the best path determination.
> After a few minutes I checked back on the router which is located in a
> datacenter, but I got no reaction from it, also no ping or trace
> reaction.

No problem on an RE-400 with 768 MB memory:

inet.0: 268328 destinations, 536540 routes (268323 active, 0 holddown, 5 hidden)
              Direct:      8 routes,      7 active
                OSPF:    300 routes,     67 active
                 BGP: 535963 routes, 267982 active
              Static:     31 routes,     31 active
               IS-IS:    230 routes,    230 active
                RSVP:      2 routes,      0 active

top shows 84 MB inactive and 117 MB free memory.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no