[j-nsp] Ethernet router suggestion required

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Sat Aug 30 03:49:40 EDT 2008

> I am looking for a L2/L3 capable ethernet router with 20Gig ports in my
> core, that should do full bgp feeds from multiple upstreams w/ , IPv6
> and multicast routing, MPLS and 4byte Asn in future.  I am currently
> looking into 4 products from 4 vendor.
>
> 1. Extreme BD 1280xR
> 2. Force10 E300 (don't have MPLS but might do in future)
> 3. Foundry NetIron MLX-4
> 4. Juniper Mx240.

I can only comment on Juniper MX since we don't have the others in our
network.

We've been very happy with our MX480s so far. We use them for IP, IPv6
and MPLS (no multicast). I think our best one-line summary is that
"it just works" - no surprises.

We'll be getting some MX240s on line within the next few weeks. You
might want to consider MX480 in addition to MX240, if you have the
rack space and power available. The price difference is negligible.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no