[j-nsp] Ethernet router suggestion required

David Ball davidtball at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 12:15:26 EDT 2008

  Am just starting to eval an MX960, but have heard nothing but good
things about it.  Have been happy with our T-series thus far, and I
don't expect many disappointments with the MX.  I consider both the MX
and T-series to be extraordinarily expensive (DPCs, FPCs, PICs), but
if price is no object,  you'd be hard pressed to beat the
performance/functionality.
  That said, I've worked with the Foundry NetIron XMR (big brother to
the MLX) and was very happy with it.  The only things I had issue with
were the inability to classify/assign traffic to a VPN based on an
'inner' VLAN tag (I'm told this feature is coming), and L3VPNs/VRFs
only support 262k routes, scarcely enough to hold today's global
routing table.  If you don't need either of those things (most people
don't), the XMR is a very capable platform and provides *very*
significant cost savings over Juniper, so you'll be a hit with the
bean counters.
  Juniper's config/CLI is pretty different than most vendors (and far
superior, in my opinion), so if you're currently a Cisco shop,
there'll be a learning curve for your Ops staff.  Not sure if that
matters to you.

David