[j-nsp] recommended Netflow sampling rates?

Alexander Tarkhov karabass at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 16:02:43 EDT 2008

Hi Brian, Justin!

This sampling story can be implemented in two different ways on M/T-series.
One way of configuring the sampling output stanza is to utilize RE
resources for exporting flows. That is the default (and free) approach
when one of the daemons on RE - sampled - is doing the job of
aggregating flows and sending them out via UDP.

The other way of doing this is using services PIC (or some variant of
it) with JFlow license installed for this purpose.

The limitations of these two options are quite different, the intended
purpose of the two approaches is also different. That might be a
reason why there is no consensus here. You are probably asking about
RE-based sampling on M/T-series or MX. Please clarify if this is
correct, so that we don't mix these things.

-Alex