[j-nsp] recommended Netflow sampling rates?

Ignacio Vazquez ignacio.vazquez at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 18:16:32 EDT 2008

Hi Brian, Justin,
 we were doing some calculation about the error you could have trying to
protect at the same time the RE (not having more than 1 Kpps to the RE). I
wanted to have less that 5 % error because the sampling, and I realize this
could be obtain with more flexible sampling.

I know it could sound too conservative, but I think it is enough for us. My
result could be sumarized with this table:

Total traffic incoming          |   sampling recommended
x < 300 Mbps                    |     200
300 Mbps < x < 3 Gbps     |     2.000
3 Gbps    < x < 30 Gbps     |    20.000
30 Gbps  < x < 300 Gbps   |    200.000

Regards,