[j-nsp] Router selection, Juniper intro

Peter E. Fry pfry-lists at redsword.com
Thu Dec 11 15:24:44 EST 2008

Subject: Re: [j-nsp] Router selection, Juniper intro
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 22:45:32 -0500 (EST)

> On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Ben Steele wrote:
>
> > For 15k get yourself an NPE-G2, it's not worth moving
> > platforms and your already invested 7200 modules [...]

> I am leaning heavily towards used Juniper...  I might also
> add that I  absolutely hate QoS stuff in IOS.  Most of it
> I simply cannot wrap my head  around and then if I can I
> more often than not find that it's not  supported on
> whatever interface I'm needing it on.

  Junipers are a bit exciting that way, too.

[...]
> Thanks for the input though, the NPE-Gx option is still on
> the table.

  I have to agree with Ben, here.  The bottom line is "$15k"
-- I doubt you could get into an M series chassis with the
PICs you'd need, and the J series does not have the
interface selection (although the J6350 should outperform
the NPE-G2).  Juniper maintenance is definitely not geared
to support the gray market, so while you could probably
cobble together some hardware, getting it completely set up
might be tough.  And I wouldn't try to mangle your plan to
fit a J series until you look closely at QoS on that
chassis, if QoS is a concern.
  Naturally, if you could justify the budget you could do a
lot worse than an M series.
  I have to disagree with Ben about the NPE-300, though --
for the price of one of those you might be able to buy
yourself a really nice sandwich.

[...]

Peter E. Fry