[j-nsp] Router selection, Juniper intro

Nathan have.an.email at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 17:10:50 EST 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 9:24 PM, Peter E. Fry <pfry-lists at redsword.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Ben Steele wrote:
>
>> I am leaning heavily towards used Juniper...  I might also
>> add that I  absolutely hate QoS stuff in IOS.  Most of it
>> I simply cannot wrap my head  around and then if I can I
>> more often than not find that it's not  supported on
>> whatever interface I'm needing it on.
>
>  Junipers are a bit exciting that way, too.
> [...]
> I wouldn't try to mangle your plan to
> fit a J series until you look closely at QoS on that
> chassis, if QoS is a concern.

Seconded. I have a number of J4350s, and except for the QoS they're
very likable beasts, my favorite workhorse at the moment.

I *have* wrapped my head around Cisco QoS and Linux QoS, which I grok
quite nicely thank you, but I have found the Juniper version quite
unpalatable. I wanted very much to do DSCP remarking based on criteria
both I and IOS found quite straightforward, but it was apparently a
bit complicated for the J-series. I did get the impression that it
would have been much easier with more ISP/Enterprisey series than the
J-Series. Other than that, if you have a limited budget . . .

FWIW I run J4350s as ethernet-only eBGP transits, and NPE-G1s facing
customers with all the fancy interfaces I've investing in over the
years. Plug them all into nice QoS-enabled gigabit switches (if you're
interested you can search for past mails by me about my network
structure), and you've got a nice redundant MPLS-enabled network for
relatively low cost.

HTH.