[j-nsp] M5/M10/M20 gear questions

Jonas Frey jf at probe-networks.de
Tue Dec 16 04:26:26 EST 2008

Charles,

yes, the PICs (PE, P, PB) are all the same, the difference is just the
faceplate. Using PE- PICs in M20 upwards works fine. Using P- PICs in
M5/7/10i is a bit difficult. Some folks tend to add some type of
removable gluesticks to the faceplate so they can pull them out more
easily.

The difference of the GE PICs (basically fixed optics vs. removable/sfp
optics) is that the newer PICs have some more features like mac rewrite,
vlan CCC (while the fixed optics -B versions also do this) and flexible
ethernet encapsulation. Most of the time you dont need these features
untill you run MPLS.

Using just 1 GE interface and doing everything via VLANs on a switch
works fine, its a cheap and good way to get started.

There have been some enhancements to the ASICs but thats mostly in the
upperscale units like M320/T320 and above. The m5/7/10i gear is almost
the same. You will very likely not notice any difference in a normal
deployment scenario.

I personally recommend removing the harddrive of the RE and installing a
solid state disk. All juniper RE's upto date use harddisks and flash.
Replacing the harddisk with a SSD is the best way to make sure you wont
run into problems when utilizing used hardware. I have documentated this
process on the cluepon pages.

Software contracts are not that cheap. First you will likely need to get
your hardware recertified. That means someone from J will visit your
site and check the unit. This usually costs around 2k-5k depending on
config. The yearly cost for the service contract depends on response
times/features etc. This can be anything starting from 1k upwards. You
will need to talk to juniper to get exact figures.

Regards,
Jonas