[j-nsp] Aggregate support and scaling past 1Gbps

Thomas Thorne thomasthorne.list at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 12:15:59 EST 2008

  Does anyone have experience in utilizing aggregates, for instance LACP, on
Juniper firewalls?   As a smaller provider trying to scale beyond 1Gbps
without moving to 10GbE, I'm finding the information on this architectural
issue a little scarce.

  We can take in an aggregate from our upstream starting at 2Gbps, scaling
upwards in 1Gbps increments utilizing LACP.   The next step is to jump to
10GbE.    Going the aggregate route, the full forwarding path through the
Juniper firewalls needs to scale accordingly.

  ISGs seem to support 2Gbps and 4Gbps stateful filtering respectively, but
I couldn't find documentation on aggregates.  The next jump is to the 5200
which supports 2 x 10GbE and 10Gbps stateful filtering, after that the 5400
at 4 x 10GbE and 30Gbps stateful filtering all the way up to the SRX for far
beyond our needs.

  Has anyone dealt with this stateful filtering throughput scaling issue,
and if so do you have any pointers if there's a reasonable solution
utilizing Juniper firewalls or maybe even other solutions.

Thanks,
Tom.