[j-nsp] Series M Hardware Question

Samuel samuel.gay at c-s.fr
Wed Feb 6 05:13:46 EST 2008

Hi,

 > 1. Can you mount a working M10 with only one HCM?

According the Juniper documentation it seems to work :
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/hardware/m10i/m10i-hwguide/hw-hcm.html
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/nog/nog-hardware/html/hcm.html
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/hardware/m10i/m10i-hwguide/replace-remove-pic.html#replace-remove-pic

In fact the HCM card has two functionality:
1) communicate with the RE if there is a problem
2) put PICs online and offline

By default HCM0 is master, so if there is only one HCM I think that the
first functionality will work but the second one won't work. To put
online or offline a PIC you will have to use this command:
user at host>request chassis pic fpc-slot fpc-slot pic-slot pic-slot offline

I think I am right, but I have never tested ...

Regards,
Samuel