[j-nsp] Junose (ERX) IP pool management

Gabriel Blanchard gabriel at teksavvy.com
Thu Feb 14 13:09:32 EST 2008

> to use a DHCP-server to do the address-management should work in
> general. The docs say so:
>
> http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/erx/junose82/swconfig-broadband/html/dhcp-server-config6.html

Thanks. I happen to have found this information just today.

> and I've heard about it too. But:
>
> - not sure what you mean by "we need to manage different types of IP
> pools" (I also don't know which info the ERX includes in the DHCP
> request, which could make it possible for the DHCP-server to
> differentiate users/user-groups)

We have many wholesale accounts for which have different IP pools. I
need to find a way to tell the dhcp server to pick the IP from a
different pool (Is this possible?) OR run many dhcp daemons... which
seems ugly and inconvenient.

> - what will happen if one LNS goes out-of-service, the others take
> over
> the users, but pools don't have IP-addrs anymore, as the ones taken by
> the one LNS are still "in use" (do see any easy solution for this)

I realize this....I believe this is where the dhcp lease time comes
into play...but lowering it to much would mean that the dhcp servers
would get hammered. Either way I would rather have this problem than
having to manage IP pools in many LNSes. What happens sometimes is
that if one LNS goes down, the l2tp tunnels fail-over to the other
LNSes like they should be but will often deplete all IPs available
from them.

-G