[j-nsp] atastandbyarmset & smartd

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Wed Feb 20 05:42:06 EST 2008

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Lukasz Trabinski wrote:
> Jan 23 03:40:38 r4 smartd[4216]: standby_request: Error:
> atastandbyarmset(TRUE): Inappropriate ioctl for device
>
> Jan 23 05:05:44 r3 smartd[4185]: atastandbyarmset: ioctl: Inappropriate
> ioctl for device
>
> My question is, is it big problem for stablity of my routers? Process
> smatrd is only for disk monitoring, is it use for something else?

This means that JunOS would have spun off the disk but didn't due to a
bug.  So it's more than just disk monitoring.

This may have impact on the lifetime of the routing engine, but which
way is not very clear to me (spinning up and down the disk constantly
when syslog is written versus just keeping the disk spinning).

Personally I don't think this is a big issue one way or the other but
if you're only writing very little syslog, the "savings" of spinning
down the disk might be bigger than with us.