[j-nsp] Juniper M20 with old JUNOS version gives upgrade problem

Hyunseog Ryu HRyu at norlight.com
Fri Feb 29 08:40:32 EST 2008

You can use PCMCIA Flash Disk to burn install media, then install JUNOS
using install media from scratch.
Of course, it will blow up all configuration, but that's only way to get
around this issue.

Hyun

Hyunseog Ryu
Senior Network Engineer
Norlight , Inc.
Applications Engineering
13935 Bishops Drive
Brookfield, WI 53005
Phone. +1-262-792-7965
Fax. +1-262-792-7733
Email. hryu at norlight.com

"InterXS - L. Croese" <leon at interxs.nl>
Sent by: juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
02/28/2008 08:09 PM

<juniper-nsp at puck.nether.net>
cc

Fax to

Subject
[j-nsp] Juniper M20 with old JUNOS version gives upgrade problem

Hi List,

We recently bought a Juniper M20 to expand our lab setup.
It runs JUNOS 5.5R2.3

I want it to upgrade it to JUNOS 9.0 however we started to archive JUNOS
versions since 7.1R1.

However a request system software add validate reboot
jinstall-7.1R1.3-export-signed.tgz gives the following error:

59627557 bytes transferred in 142.9 seconds (407.60 kBps)
Package contains jinstall-7.1R1.3-export-signed.tgz ; renaming ...
Checking compatibility with configuration
Initializing...
Using jbase-5.5R2.3
Using /var/tmp/jinstall-7.1R1.3-export-signed.tgz
Verified MD5 checksum of
/var/validate/tmp/jinstall/jinstall-7.1R1.3-export.tgz
Using /var/validate/tmp/jinstall-signed/jinstall-7.1R1.3-export.tgz
Using /var/validate/tmp/jinstall/jbundle-7.1R1.3-export.tgz
Using /var/validate/tmp/jbundle/jbase-7.1R1.3.tgz
Using /var/validate/tmp/jbundle/jkernel-7.1R1.3.tgz
WARNING: This base version of JUNOS will not properly
WARNING: support this package.  Please install base OS
WARNING: JUNOS 7.0 or newer ASAP.  You can do this via
WARNING: a jinstall package or install-media.
WARNING: Or use the command:
WARNING:        'request system software rollback'
WARNING: to attempt to restore the previous software set.
WARNING: This installation attempt will be aborted.
ERROR: validate-config: jkernel/+REQUIRE fails
WARNING: Current configuration not compatible with
/var/tmp/jinstall-7.1R1.3-export-signed.tgz

Ofcourse the difference between 7.1R1.3 and 5.5R2.3 is way to big, any
idea
how to get hands on a 6.x jinstall package?

As the router is only for our juniper lab we dont have it under contract
so
opening a JTAC ticket is not an option.

Any ideas?

Thanks,