[j-nsp] My first juniper... kinda...

Jason Lixfeld jason at lixfeld.ca
Fri Jan 4 14:07:14 EST 2008

On 4-Jan-08, at 12:00 PM, Peter E. Fry wrote:

>> Looking at Juniper again after about 5 years, and I'd like
>> some   feedback.  I have a client who has a requirement to
>> drive a 100MB link   (so receive 100MB on one interface
>> and transmit 100MB on another) on a   1U device that is
>> cheap.  I've heard great things about the J series.
>> Based on the specs, a J2320 fits, however it doesn't
>> support FE PIMs,   FE EPIMs or GE EPIMS.  It does, however
>> , appear to support a GE UPIM.    What is the difference
>> between a PIM/EPIM and a UPIM?  Throughput?  Is   the
>> latter a layer 2 module only, and you can't route over
>> them?
>
>  You need more than the four built-in Ethernet ports?

Oh jeeze - I skimmed right past the part that said the 2350 had 4 on-
board 10/100/1000 RJ45 ports.  Thanks for mentioning that.

>  I believe the uPIMs are dual PCI/PCI-E, and use a switch
> chip to provide additional Ethernet ports with flexible
> mapping.  If you don't have a need for hardware (wire speed)
> L3 on your LAN, they're a tempting way to cram Ethernet
> switching functionality into the router box.  The J2320 has
> only PCI for PIM connectivity, but 100Mb/s should be no
> problem.

Would two of the onboard ports each do wirespeed 100Mb, full duplex?
Are the onboards equivalent to PCI or are they equivalent to PCI-E?

>  Now you also have the choice of JUNOS, ScreenOS, and
> "JUNOS Software with Enhanced Services" (JUNOS with ScreenOS
> features but [from a quick review of the docs] minus the
> licensed extras).

I think I'd just go with JunOS, but that's another ball of wax.  I may
do JunOS on one and ScreenOS on the other, but I have to look at the
difference between the two in order to figure that out.

Is there a matrix somewhere that lists the differences between Screen
and Jun?  As I understand it, Screen revolves more around security,
while Jun revolves more around Layer 3, but please - correct me if I'm
wrong.