[j-nsp] SFP Compatibility

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Thu Jan 10 17:03:40 EST 2008

> From: Richard A Steenbergen [mailto:ras at e-gerbil.net]
> Much to their credit, Juniper plays no vendor locking games
> with optics.
>
> The worst you'll get is NON-JNPR instead of a part number in
> show chassis
> hardware, like so:
>
>     Xcvr 0                NON-JNPR     K6S00Y5           XFP-10G-LR
>
> --
> Richard A Steenbergen <ras at e-gerbil.net>
> http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras
> GPG Key ID: 0xF8B12CBC (7535 7F59 8204 ED1F CC1C 53AF 4C41
> 5ECA F8B1 2CBC)

Yeah, I'm just wondering when this will end.  I've spoken with a few
different vendors about their plans for optics and they all say that "we
don't lock you out *now*".  I'm thoroughly unimpressed with this answer,
as it could lead to massive outages if they one day decide to implement
CRC checks like Cisco in a new software upgrade.

Thanks,
evt