[j-nsp] SFP Compatibility

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Jan 10 17:38:47 EST 2008

On Thu, Jan 10, 2008 at 05:03:40PM -0500, Eric Van Tol wrote:
> Yeah, I'm just wondering when this will end.  I've spoken with a few
> different vendors about their plans for optics and they all say that "we
> don't lock you out *now*".  I'm thoroughly unimpressed with this answer,
> as it could lead to massive outages if they one day decide to implement
> CRC checks like Cisco in a new software upgrade.

The new strategy (and I call it a strategy because I've actually heard it
described as such, its not just coincidental :P) seems to be "if we can't
outright deny them the use of the optic completely without pissing off the
customer, we can deny the use of extra "value added features" like DOM for
not-our-branded optics".

Cisco 6500/7600 has broken DOM support (on 10G at least, but the SFP
blades never supported it anyways) in SXF11+, SRA4+, SXH/SRB code.
Apparently Foundry plans on implementing similar in the near future as
well, and I heard some grumbling that HP implemented vendor locking on
their switches out of the blue with no notice and significant downtime
caused to users who tried to upgrade code.

Reselling rebadged optics at extreme markup is a billion dollar industry,
don't expect hardware vendors to let it go lightly. :)