[j-nsp] VRRP tuning and scaling

Angel Bardarov angel.bardarov at btc-net.bg
Tue Jan 15 04:14:14 EST 2008

Hi,
When you configure "fast interval" you have limitation on number of VRRP
groups - it depends  also on how "fast" is your interval:

vrrp-group 250 {
    virtual-address 1.1.1.252;
    priority 105;
    fast-interval 100;
    preempt {
        hold-time 300;
    }
    accept-data;
}
[edit interfaces ge-0/2/1 unit 2011 family inet address 1.1.1.3/24]
lab at edge-a1-RE0# commit check
[edit interfaces ge-0/2/1 unit 2011 family inet address 1.1.1.3/24]
  'vrrp-group 20'
    Configuration exceeds maximum rate of 200 fast advertisements per second
error: configuration check-out failed

With 100 ms interval the convergence is around 400 ms and you can't have
more than 20 groups. You can have more than 20 if these additional
groups don't use "fast interval" feature.

Regards,
Angel