[j-nsp] VRRP tuning and scaling

Gard Undheim gard at ipnett.no
Tue Jan 15 06:27:12 EST 2008

Hi

What Junos version are you running, I have currently 100 vrrp
groups, all with fast-interval 100msec. This config committed
without any warnings. All vrrp-groups are under the
same interface and unit. This is on a M5 running Junos 8.5.

Config:

fe-0/2/2 {
     description to-3550;
     vlan-tagging;
     unit 99 {
         vlan-id 99;
         family inet {
             address 10.10.10.3/24 {
                 vrrp-group 1 {
                     virtual-address 10.10.10.1;
                     priority 90;
                     fast-interval 100;
                     accept-data;
                 }
                 vrrp-group 10 {
                     virtual-address 10.10.10.10;
                     priority 90;
                     fast-interval 100;
                     accept-data;
                 }
                 vrrp-group 11 {
                     virtual-address 10.10.10.11;
                     priority 90;
                     fast-interval 100;
                     accept-data;
                 }
                 vrrp-group .. {
                     virtual-address 10.10.10...;
                     priority 90;
                     fast-interval 100;
                     accept-data;
                 }
		vrrp-group 99 {
                     virtual-address 10.10.10.99;
                     priority 90;
                     fast-interval 100;
                     accept-data;
                 }

Regards,
Gard

Angel Bardarov wrote:
> Hi,
> When you configure "fast interval" you have limitation on number of VRRP
> groups - it depends  also on how "fast" is your interval:
>
> vrrp-group 250 {
>     virtual-address 1.1.1.252;
>     priority 105;
>     fast-interval 100;
>     preempt {
>         hold-time 300;
>     }
>     accept-data;
> }
> [edit interfaces ge-0/2/1 unit 2011 family inet address 1.1.1.3/24]
> lab at edge-a1-RE0# commit check
> [edit interfaces ge-0/2/1 unit 2011 family inet address 1.1.1.3/24]
>   'vrrp-group 20'
>     Configuration exceeds maximum rate of 200 fast advertisements per second
> error: configuration check-out failed
>
> With 100 ms interval the convergence is around 400 ms and you can't have
> more than 20 groups. You can have more than 20 if these additional
> groups don't use "fast interval" feature.
>
> Regards,
> Angel
>

> Gard Undheim wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Thanks for the answers. I have tested a bit with up to 75 vrrp-groups
>> and a interval of 100msec in the lab now, and the boxes is not able to
>> to the failover in the expected time (300-400msec). These tests were
>> done with two M5's, the actual network will use M120 and M320. I guess
>> I'll set the interval to 300 seconds, since this is also what is
>> recommended in the 8.5 release notes.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Gard
>>
>> Jonathan Brashear wrote:
>>
>>> Seconded.  Depending on what type of Juniper you're using, VRRP issues
>>> can heavily tax a router and cause it to drop bgp with other routers if
>>> enough problems pop up.  Dropping the fast-interval time will only
>>> hasten these problems.  It's your call, but imo it's a
>>> high-risk/low-reward situation tuning the failover to the lowest time
>>> possible.
>>>

>>> Network Engineer

>>> http://www.speakeasy.net

Best Regards,